Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tinkering with Watercolor

Nothing like a clean studio to make you want to do something in it.

I set out four sheets of watercolor paper on my watercolor boards for stretching, but then turned to dry paper to mess with the paints while the ones in process dry.

Yes, I know, those are just your basic kiddy watercolors from Target, but I like the colors and I don't have to worry about getting them all gunked up.

I did some geometric shapes on one dry sheet, and then had to let them dry before I can do anything more with the page. A book on watercolors I got at the library had one important point which I knew about but kind of evaded: you have to let them dry.

So I moved on and got really too ambitious, but what the hell, and I got this much done for the day. I'm enjoying it so much I know I'll get back to it soon, and I'll post my progress in the future.

The picture of the daylily is my reference picture. Really, really beyond my skill, but who cares?

One thing I know, the new brush I'm using is fantastic. It's called a "#7 Pro Arte Prolene Plus. I'm getting tiny lines and nice full swaths, and I'm convinced I never had a brush good enough before to make watercolors fun. (And it was inexpensive.)

A bit of creation every day. Feels good.

No comments: