Thursday, January 15, 2009

Exercise!

Seeing this picture on the cover of Via, I was, as always, entranced by the combination of purple and orange.

I decided that today's project would be to play with the image in Photoshop.

With the magazine in front of me, I drew the lines of the elements of the picture with my mouse. (When economic times get better, I've GOT to get one of those pen styluses instead of trying to use the talent of my right hand with a mouse, which my right hand almost never uses any more. It's like trying to draw an eyelash with a brick.)

I scanned the cover photo so that I could try to see what the colors actually are. Photoshop did not agree with me about what colors were present, but I pressed on.

After an hour and a half or so, I saved the file and made lunch. After lunch I pressed on, getting some good reddish colors and textures on the near hill. A half hour later, the power went out, and erased everything I'd done since lasagna casserole. I didn't even swear; I should have known better; I do know better than to not save every couple minutes. Dammit.

I liked the sky in the finished product, but as usual, was far from satisfied with it.

After the power outage, I must confess, I was deeply annoyed and quit probably before I should have.

And since I was lazy enough to work in only two layers, it came out better than it might have.

No comments: