Thursday, January 15, 2009

Idle Hands

On Wednesdays, I take my granddaughter to her religion class, and while she does whatever religious studies first grade kids do, I have an hour to keep myself occupied.

This time I grabbed my sketch book, and once her class had begun, I decided to set a task -- to sketch 10 hands, just for practice, because I don't practice any where nearly as much as I should.

I tried to imagine basic shapes upon which to build and model a hand. And because I'm so damn timid about this sort of thing, I left the pencil alone and used a pen.

By the time I had scribbled the ninth hand, it was time to pick Lil up at her classroom.

However, I do include a stick figure carrying a shopping bag, and the foot, which started bare, grew a sock, and ended up with its toes on backwards.

And one too few of them, I might add.

1 comment:

Lydia Manx said...

Some of my favorite sketches are hands I've done. I have this little bit of oddness...I am ambidextrous (spelling) so I can sketch both. I love hand sketches.