Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bwah-ha-ha!

When we recently had a new fence put in, a pipe broke beside the house; this pipe carried water to my back yard sprinkler system. 

It wasn't a problem to fix; pipes aren't buried very deeply. Howie, my faithful dog, and I dug out and exposed the problem area of the pipe; then Bernie put his manly muscles into the job and shoveled out a spacious area so that fixing it wouldn't be awkward.

Indeed, it wasn't awkward: one trip to the hardware store for fittings and fresh pipe plus five minutes of labor and voila! Happy dry pipe!

We turned on the sprinklers and yes, the repair worked just fine. However, the sprinklers in the garden did not. Following along the line of the irrigation line, not only were there clogs of dirt, but the 1/2 inch tubing had been pretty well chewed up by the digging and fencing. 

Now when I first ran this irrigation line, ten years or so ago, I had a completely different landscape in mind. Over the years, as plants were moved, removed, or added, I just modified the emitters, adding bits and pieces here and there. Looking at the line to see where it needed fixed, I realized I had no idea what on earth I had been thinking long ago, and just decided to rip it all out and start over.

That's what I did today. 100 feet of irrigation hose and emitters for each major piece of shrubbery. It is so efficient compared to the mess that was there, it almost makes me laugh. Testing the system was a moment of delight: my project works, and works well.

So I did create something today!

No comments: