Thursday, October 2, 2008

Poetry

A surprise visit from an old friend prompted me to write a bit of poetry. This is a good thing, because I was too tired to try to tackle writing fiction or artwork.

...Young

On my doorstep
So different
After so many years
Than when we were...

A split second of confusion
Then exclamations at meeting again
Since when we were...

Your hair longer
Mine much grayer
You and I changed our shapes
From when we were...

Both of us have changed our careers
Peace is ascendant, unlike memories
Of when we were...

Much wiser now
Much calmer now
No foolishness afoot
As when we were...

We take stock of each others' lives
We promise to stay in touch, as close as
How when we were...

We say goodbye
Remembering
Our wild gusts of laughter
Oh! When we were...

Your smile is just as beautiful
As when we clinked our glasses together
Back when we were...

I don't know if the poem is done yet or not. It was a creative effort for the day, however, and I'll look at it again in a few days, decide whether or not to continue working on it, or possibly forget I ever wrote it.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I vote "Maybe not done, but worth revisiting."