Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cover for "Betrayal in an Envelope"

The illustration accompanied Kathryn Long's story "Betrayal in an Envelope."

It had to be simple, yet vivid. Vivid to match the story, and simple, because my shoulder and arm were still screaming non-stop pain.

Bernie wanted me to skip putting up the Piker Press for a week, so that I didn't have to sit at the computer too long. But instead I worked on it a bit at a time over the weekend, so that all I had to do Monday morning was the illustration.

I took two envelopes and crumpled them. Then I took them to my studio and flattened them, then used a smudgy foam triangle to drag red pigment over one, and blue over the other.

I set them on a piece of paper on the floor and took a photo.

In Photoshop, I cut away all the "paper" background, and inserted a background of sort-of-sepia. The layer with the envelopes I "adjusted", messing with the hue and saturation. And then I called it done, wishing that the painkillers would kick in.

Had I been in my right mind, I would have intensified the colors I hazed over the sepia background, and cropped the picture a little more.

1 comment:

Author and Reader said...

Sand...the illustration is beautiful! It's nice to know how you created that effect on the envelopes. And the pain you went through! To be so artistic in both the written word as well as in art...I'm feeling envious! Bottom line, I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Kathryn