Friday, February 6, 2009

Wet Paint

What seems like a couple decades ago (but is probably only about three years) I started this painting.

I was still using a film camera -- okay, maybe five or six years ago -- and I remember doing a pastel sketch as a preliminary. Then I took an old canvas that had a rough undercoat in blue and gold of a image of a fish, and used black oil paint to block in the palm trees.

And then I forgot it.

Lately I've been itching for oil paints, so today I bit the bullet and dragged out all the stuff -- the brushes, the canvases, the tubes of pigment.

I'm not really sure of where I'm going with it, but at least it's not palm tree silhouettes against a fish outline any more.

Not particularly interested in realism with this one; it's just an exercise.

Lessons learned: You must use it or you will lose it, and have to start back at Square One.

And student-grade cadmium orange doesn't cover underpaint worth a shit.

And Payne's gray + cadmium orange ends up looking like a dirty moldy green.

But it did cover the erstwhile fish.

No comments: