Thursday, February 5, 2009

Experimenting with Color

I've always been fond of loads of color, but also afraid of using them.

This book by Mike Svob, Paint Red-Hot Landscapes That Sell, has a number of interestingly improbable color schemes that intrigue me. I decided the next art project would be to fiddle with color per his example.

You can see I've tried to match up my pastel sticks to the colors of the photo of his oil painting.

When you do oils (my mother taught me) you begin with the darkest colors and then work into the lighter shades. With pastels, for me it seems to be the exact opposite, so I started with the yellows.

By the time I was ready to switch to oranges, my arm was really throbbing, so I sprayed the thing with fixative and called it a day.

The amazing part of it was that I was so engrossed in shapes and hues that I missed my 3 o' clock painkillers completely, and wouldn't have remembered them until Bernie reminded me at 4 that I was overdue.

That's good news!

No comments: