Friday, February 13, 2009

Done With This Slop

As I was plying pastels to this picture this afternoon, I was also chatting to Bernie on the telephone.

"Yes," I grated into the headset, quoting a line from the original Battlestar Galactica, "I think we're done here."

I loved the colors of the painting I was trying to imitate, but I never could figure out what the order of their use was, or what exactly the painter was trying to convey. Now it is a fact that the original artist used oils, and I was using pastels, but still. I could discern no particular light source, or rationale for his use of purple.

I did try, but when vibrant color becomes boring through annoyance, it's time to hang it up, and maybe try one little piece of replication some time in the future instead of a big landscape. I sprayed the beast with fixative; in a couple days it will be dry enough to press between sheets of tracing paper and hide forever.

No comments: